Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Trick or Treat?

I'm currently in the midst of the great Halloween costume search for 2008. I hemmed and hawed and stalled and agonized last year. Just before October of last year, peanut became obsessed with frogs. Through the magic of the Internet, I found a cute little froggie costume that wasn't at Target, Old Navy or on every other kid at the play ground on Halloween. And he was adorable.

This year...stuck again. He's two and although he obviously has a preference about things, he's not always clear about what he wants before he's having a meltdown because I've picked the wrong thing. Halloween costumes are like a window into your personality. Perhaps it's a job you wanted to be when you grew up, a favorite animal or super hero, a part of your personality you want to let loose for one day a year.

As a parent, I'm having a hard time making this decision for peanut. It's so easy as a parent to project my wants, desires and dreams on to peanut. Every day I see such amazing aspects of his personality and promises of the future boy and man he will become emerging. It's hard not to jump ahead, but I want to enjoy the ride of discovering my son. And the fact is, I'd be curious to see what he would pick if he understood enough to make choice.

But, he doesn't. At least not really. So, the hubby and I will be forced to pick. The problem is that there are very few options, apparently, for two-year old boys. The pickin's, they are a slim. I've checked all the old standbys and online. I've settled on two (settled for today, anyway). Right now, it looks like either a non-full-face masked Spider Man or a cute cuddly lion cub.

Decisions, decisions.

I know one day he'll be 16 and wanting to go out looking completely not like the boy I want him to look like in some way or another and I'll look back on this apparent "difficult" decision and wonder why I didn't just choose the one I wanted the most. After all, it may be the last time I get to make the Halloween costume decision. Potential meltdown be damned.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Go with the lion! So cute!

My boys mostly get hand-me-downs. Although their first year they each got their own and it got put away in their keepsake boxes.

Although with both my older boys clamoring for Spiderman this year I may just have to give in. ;)

Heather said...

Ah, last year, the kid was just a few months older, I took him to the costume store with me *sure* that he would want to be Mickey Mouse, a dinosaur or something cute and cuddly (like the lion). My plan was to find all 3, show them to him and let him pick. Instead, he wanted to be a farmer. Go figure.