Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Show and Tell

The lovely Goddess in Progress has tagged me with a new meme. And since I'm feeling lazy and watching last night's women's gymnastics finals on the DVR (yes, I already know what happens...that's what I get for falling asleep on the couch at 9:30), I'll take a stab.

Since I'm horrible at picking folks to tag, consider yourself tagged. All of you. If you want to join the fun, please do. If not, no harm, no foul! So, here we go:

The subject:
“6 UN-spectacular things about me”

The rules:
1. Link the person who tagged you.
2. Mention the rules on your blog.
3. Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours.
4. Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them.
5. Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger’s blogs letting them know they’ve been tagged.


1. I am the oldest of two (just me and my sister) and the fourth cousin in line on both my dad and my mom's side. I just realized that.

2. I am really bad at math. Always have been. It all goes back to the second grade where I somehow got my greater than and less than signs backwards, so when we took the "refresher" test at the start of third grade to see where everyone stood, I got them all wrong. And since then, well, math has been a mental block. Somehow, someway, by taking the AP Calculus test (remember #1? I was the oldest, therefore the overachiever...but it was the "less hard" of the two Calculus courses offered in my high school) I managed to place out of math in college. I'm still not convinced it wasn't some kind of scoring error, but I certainly wasn't going to ask for a recount.

3. I have worn a sling in my life twice - once for each arm. When I was four year's old, the tip of my right ring finger was cut off in a freak sandbox accident. It was sewn back on, but the weeks that I was immobilized in a sling to keep the blood flow level were horrible for a four year old. I couldn't color well. My parents took me to a petting zoo (with one hand? hello? what were they thinking?) and I was totally off balance trying to avoid those over-aggressive goats!

When I was in the fifth grade, I flipped off a jungle gym and broke my left arm up near my shoulder. I passed out on the walk from the playground to the nurses office - yes, the school should have called an ambulance, but it was a substitute PE teacher. Ended up in another sling for a lot longer as the arm healed. Not fun.

4. I can pee for a long, long time. My sister thinks it's hilarious when we're out and I have to go. I am always in there forever. I recently realized it might go back to my potty training. Apparently, early in my potty training, mom took me to out to run errands and didn't realize until we got home from doing nearly four hours of stores that I hadn't gone. She was prepared to clean up an accident, but instead, I ran in the house straight for the potty. I'm sure that was my first really long pee. I guess that first one set a precedent for my bladder.

5. I have never traveled outside the country. Well, I went to Juarez, Mexico while in El Paso for the Sun Bowl my freshman year in college. But all the velvet Elvis and creepy guys trying to lure the blond girls into their vans made it more of an icky experience than a cultural one.

6. I love to check the mail. Email, snail mail. Whatever. I love checking both. That moment of excitement before you open the virtual or real box knowing that someone you care about might have taken a moment to write. Don't get me wrong, I love email. I rely on it for day-to-day contact. But whenever I get a card or letter in the mailbox, love it! It doesn't happen much anymore, does it? I try to send out a few to folks to show them that I'm thinking about them in the hopes that the mail karma will eventually find its way back to box.

So there you have it. Six un-spectacular things about me. Back to a few spectacular and un-spectacular performances from last night's games. Maybe tonight I'll be able to stay up to actually watch a few events live.

Maybe!

2 comments:

The Thomasville Harrisons said...

OMG - I love love love the mail. Snail mail, specifically. It's this weird obsession - my husband never even goes to the mailbox anymore for fear of 'taking away' that daily joy for me. Funny!

Jaime said...

Oh my gosh, #4 is so me. My friends tease me mercilessly about my propensity to pee for a seeming eternity. It can be embarrassing though. I noticed the other day that the stall next to me turned over twice before I was finished. I felt like all eyes are on me when I finally emerged, and couldn't help but think that if peeing duration was an olympic sport, I would take gold!