Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Pitfalls of Living in the Moment

Peanut's concept of time is now, now, now and NOW. The present is all that matters. Although he has the memory of an elephant, anything that happened in the past happened "last night." Anything to take place at any point in the future will take place "tomorrow." It's all about immediate gratification.

If there is one thing I know for sure as a mom, it's that living in the moment is the only way to survive with a toddler. You can only do so much to anticipate the meltdowns, the demands, the rules to any given two-year-old thought-up game. You learn to satisfy the immediate needs, go with the flow, act quickly to accommodate any sudden change in mood, not be disappointed when you're leaving the book store/Starbucks/grocery store without what you came in for because his behavior requires a quick exit and subsequent time out.

I've always been a planner, so this was quite an adjustment for me. Thankfully, those early newborn days were a crash course for me. I truly dove into living in the moment in order to survive: sleeping when the baby slept, showering at odd times, eating when someone put something in front of me, realizing when the moment was right to leave the house for a quick errand. I've been quite proud of my turnaround and success in this moment-to-moment living.

The only problem is that I now realize I need more than the moment. As I reflected on 2008 over New Year's, I realized that I had made plans back in January. Plans that were just mine. Plans and goals to nourish me, the writer me, the creative me. Plans and goals that were never pulled out in 2008 since I was so busy satisfying the more immediate needs of peanut, the hubby, the house, the family, whatever. Apparently, I've been doing too good a job of living in the moment.

In 2009, then, I'm going to make a few plans. I've got a few ideas that are exciting me already and tapping into a part of my brain that has been quiet for a really long time. I've got a few side projects cooking that will allow me to dust off the old PR skills to benefit a client close to home. Call me crazy, but if I can figure out how to play with peanut, make lunch and fold the laundry at the same time, I surely can figure out how to ensure that mom, wife and me are all successful in the new year.

If my closet can hold heels, boots, flats, sneakers and an awesome new pair of slippers (thanks again hubby!), I certainly have enough room in my life to fit in a few me moments...both today and "tomorrow."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your post.

I have a 21 month old son so I can definitely relate. It is so easy to get caught up in the everyday stuff.

(I wondered over from fingers and paws, isn't she great?)

Stephanie said...

This gives me hope that my life won't be coming to a stop in a few weeks! And with a 3yr old running around, I understand that "last night" very well! :)