Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sick Day

Poor peanut has been running a fever today. He's not really exhibiting any other symptoms. Just a fever. So we're treating with Tylenol, chicken soup, liquids, Nemo and (an unheard of these days) three-hour nap.

Even though he sometimes just gets these weird fevers that typically go away after a day or two with no known cause, I'm still paranoid about what's coming next when he's got a fever (ear infection? tummy bug? strep?), not to mention paranoid about catching it myself (OCD? Maybe. Can you please pass the Purell?). But I have to admit, it was a sweet day. There was much more cuddling than my busy toddler will tolerate on a normal day. There was more coloring and quiet play. There were more unsolicited "Mommy, I love you's" than I'm used to hearing. There was the whole nap thing (wow, have I been missing that quiet time).

The more peanut gains his independence during this terrible two phase, the more precious today was to see he does still need his mommy on an instinctual, emotional level. And I was more than happy to simply hold him while he whimpered waiting for the Tylenol to take effect, wipe the tears, give a few extra tickles, stroke his forehead while we cuddled on the sofa watching "the fishies."

I do hope that he's back to himself tomorrow (it's supposed to be a beautiful weekend), but I will treasure today's surprise quiet, cuddling.

And maybe grab an extra squirt of Purell on the hands before bed.

2 comments:

Loukia said...

Glad you enjoyed the extra cuddles today. I hope his fever breaks and he feels better really soon!

Meredith said...

Hope the little man is feeling better! :(