Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tar Heeled Mama

Yes, I'm obsessed with all things related to the institution that nurtured me for four years, including, and especially (I did grow up on Tobacco Road) the basketball team. So today I am one happy, exhausted, stir-crazy, wishing I was home to join the celebrations mama.

I wish I could teleport the peanut and I to the Dean Dome to welcome the team home this afternoon. I just know he would have loved it. Not to mention his mama and daddy.

Instead, I'm just basking in the glow and will be attempting to watch the festivities on line.

Really, I haven't got much worthwhile to say other than congratulations to a group of kids any parent should be proud of. This team has a kid who shunned the NBA to come back for a senior season because he loved the Carolina college experience so much, kids who fought back from injury, a kid who has had to deal with all the drama and questions that come with having a father in prison while he was in school sending money home to support his siblings, a coach who uses "doggone" nearly as frequently as his voice cracks when he talks about his feelings for these kids.

So today, I leave you with my school's alma mater:

"Hark the sound of Tar Heel voices
Ringing clear and true
Singing Carolina's praises
Shouting N-C-U (N-C-U)
Hail to the brightest star of all
Clear its radiance shines
Carolina PRICELESS GEM
Receive all praises thine.

I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred and when I die I'll be Tar Heel dead!"

Congrats Carolina.

3 comments:

Lauren Parker said...

Go Heels! You embodied the true spirit of the win. Hope you can catch some of the festivities online!

CDB said...

I love your reference to Roy's voice cracking. (: Says it all.

Megan said...

I couldn't agree with you more! So proud of our team! They represented the University so well! Go Heels!