Friday, February 1, 2008

Even Voters Wear High Heels

I swore when I became a stay at home mom that I wouldn't let it change my interests. I was going to keep up on current events, stay engaged with the real world, wear my heels. And it was working for awhile. I easily kept up on the events of the world with the paper or Newsweek or actually watching the news while peanut was nursing. Then, peanut turned a year old and mobile and required real meals with real preparation and there went any hope of washed hair and peeing with the door shut not to mention completing a 1,000 word article.

It really hit home earlier this week when I accidentally (before the latest Music Class CD started) heard the NPR announcer say that the State of the Union was that evening. When did I get so out of touch and so far from D.C. that I didn't even realize until two hours before that a major, annual speech regarding the state of our nation was happening?

And so I am faced with deciding, before Tuesday, who to vote for in our state's primary. As moms, I think we should be the most motivated to vote - we deal with education, health care, financial, environmental and work issues, to name a few. Yet, we are often so preoccupied with executing these roles in our lives, that we don't have a lot of leftover time to look at these big picture issues objectively. Luckily, there are plenty of moms out there (and too many more to list) who are thinking (and writing) about it, which gives me hope that I can get back in the game.

So I will be spending my weekend looking at the issues I care about most to pick the candidate that I think will best represent my needs for the next four years. I encourage you all to do the same, if you haven't already. As moms, it's our responsibility.

If only the candidates had an official stance on how to deal with a cranky toddler who has decided not every day needs to include a nap - now that would be a candidate I could get behind.

3 comments:

PunditMom said...

It can be overwhelming for all of us. And thanks for the link (to me AND to MOMocrats!)

Sara (Self-Made Mom) said...

Too funny- I totally didn't realize the State of the Union was on this week either until my husband reminded me. I think those speeches are just pomp and circumstance anyway.

Mom101 said...

I know the feeling. Really I do. There was a period when I don't think I read the paper for a month, but I certainly knew every episode of Dora by heart. Motherhood can do strange things to a gal.