Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day: Mom Edition

The hubby and I have never been a big Valentine's Day couple. Between Christmas and both our birthdays in late January, Valentine's Day comes along and we're done. There is typically a card, maybe some flowers, and that's that. We express our love throughout the year and certainly have never needed a holiday to remind us.

But this year, I've been pretty excited about Valentine's Day. For my boys.

There have been heart shaped pancakes served in bed (there is apparently nothing more fun than eating breakfast in bed to a four year old!), cards, small treats, heart shaped PB&J in the lunch box, banners in the living room and treats to come after dinner. I'm having a blast lavishing goofy love on my boys this Valentine's Day.

Someone recently told me that no matter how close I was to the boys it wasn't at all the same as the closeness of a mother-daughter relationship. I'd agree with that. It's not the same at all. But that doesn't mean it's inferior. So far, in my young mother-son relationship with my boys, it's full of sweetness, hugs, tickles and a connection that can't be beat. I am the woman that my boys will compare all other women to. If that's not pressure, I'm not sure what is.

So this morning, I had fun getting up early to treat my boys to special pancakes, enjoyed some snuggle time with my munchkins in bed and happily accepted the treats they had picked out for me.

And then, as a mother of sons, I cleaned misdirected pee off the bathroom floor.

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

The Thomasville Harrisons said...

Nothing says "love" like misdirected pee!