Thursday, October 25, 2007

How I'm Winning the Worst Mom Contest

Why does it always have to come in waves?

Yesterday morning it was raining for the third day in a row. I should NOT be complaining since we're in complete drought crisis mode around here (when the local stations each have their own title and graphic for their drought stories and have no qualms about breaking into prime time programming with their own "Georgia's Water Crisis" specials, and press conferences with the guv'na posturing about suing the federal gov't are a dime a dozen, you know it's bad), but the peanut and I were going a bit stir-crazy. Add in the fact that we've both been fighting the sniffles and have been a bit cranky as a result, I decided we'd bundle up in dry gear and head out for our stroller workout to get some fresh air.

We weren't the only ones desperate for a diversion - the class was decent sized. When we headed out, it was merely misting - that constant mist that you aren't sure if it's actual precipitation or air so humid it's actually wet. About half-way through, it started to really rain. Not a downpour, just a steady rain. Enough to make me question what the heck I was thinking bringing a snuffly toddler out in it. Point against High Heeled Mama #1.

After peanut arose from his afternoon nap, I realized my sinus headache was getting worse. So I quickly reached for the Tylenol Cold & Sinus the hubby had purchased the night before. I saw Tylenol. I saw Cold & Sinus. Honestly, I didn't read beyond that. My head started feeling better, but I became awfully drowsy. Like can't keep my eyes open standing up drowsy. Luckily, peanut was happy to play in his room, so I laid down on the floor to "rest" sprawled across the room so that he couldn't get past me without going over me and, needless to say, dosed for about 20 minutes. And I have to say, that frightened me. When the hubby came home, still feeling ridiculously tired, I laid down on the couch while he made dinner. Come to find out, I had taken the nighttime version of the medicine. I'm still feeling guilt and stupidity about this one. Thankfully nothing required fast action or rational thought during this time or else I would have been up the proverbial creek. Point against HHM #2.

This morning, peanut was occupying himself in our room while I tried to blow dry my hair. I should have known this was a bad idea. Whenever I start to feel like I'm beating the system, the system falls apart. Sure enough, he disappeared into his room. When I went to check on him, he had managed to open his diaper drawer, retrieve the Dreft stain pre-treater and had it with him behind a chair. I have no idea if he ingested any or not. Granted, it would have been difficult for him to get it out of a spray bottle, but still...a call to Poison Control was made. (Long story short: he's fine). Point against HHM #3.

Feeling frazzled by the events of the last 36 hours, I decided errands would be good. We headed to our neighborhood TJ Maxx to get some additional long-sleeved bargains for baby now that the Atlanta weather has finally turned Fall. When we got home, I thought it would be a nice treat for peanut to run around the playground across the street to work our some energy before lunch. Oh, we were having a grand old time. Until he slipped on some acorns on the equipment and took a header into one of the side walls, with a corner, that, of course, found his forehead. Now he's got a very pretty goose egg on his forehead. Point against HHM #4.

Thankfully, he just went down for a nap. I hope that gives me time to wrap the house in bubble wrap.

No comments: